Copyright Gary Edward Nordell, all rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 09, 2022

RECIPE :: BAKED POTATOS, MY WAY

For various reasons, I decided to try making a baked potato as a meal. Early on, I found that russets were too big and also rather difficult to cook (microwave). My grocery store sometimes had a small display of red potatos, so I tried them - very nice results. Then red potatos showed up in a 5-pound bag for $5 (excellent price), but sometimes there were none, so I tried the Yukon Gold, also 5 pounds for $5 - not as good. I later discovered cookery commentary on the internet, which said that russets are best for deep frying & boiling, Yukon Gold are best for roasting & pan-frying, and red potatoes are best for baked & scalloped.

I often use a seven-inch pottery plate for cooking; 3 small or 2 medium or one big red potato fit perfectly on that plate.
I rinse off each potato and remove any 'eye' growths, then puncture both top and bottom skin of each.

My microwave may be real different than yours; for comparison, the tea setting on mine is two minutes. Also note that my house is at exactly 5,000 feet elevation.

First I bake the potato/s for three minutes in the microwave; then I turn each one over (use a potholder: they are already quite hot). Bake for another three minutes. Depending on the size of the potato/s, I may add another half-minute or minute. (I have learned that less is often better here: an overcooked potato has tough or chewy skin.)

Then the fun begins: Use a potholder to carry the plate to the table. Use fork and sharp knife to cut each potato in half, so that you have two flat pieces. Cut each half lengthwise many times and then crosswise many times to carve half-inch chunks. Always put butter on a baked potato. Sometimes I sprinkle garlic powder, more recently I found a dry chicken seasoning that I like.

But mostly, I pour lots of salad dressing atop the steaming plate: First choice is ranch dressing, sometimes tomato-red French dressing or oil-and-vinegar style dressings, such as caesar or Greek flavor. (For some reason, blue cheese dressing does not work for me here - too salty.)

Eat. Eat. Eat.

(P.S. You are allowed to lick any remaining goop off of the plate, but pretend that you are civilized: use a finger.)

{{ recipes cannot be copyrighted }}

No comments :