Copyright Gary Edward Nordell, all rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

August Quotations

"Bring home the troops. Leave the contractors."
~~ G.E. Nordell

"The right's greatest enemy is reality."
~~ Markos Moulitsas Zúniga of DailyKos

"The best work that anybody ever writes is the work that is on the verge of embarrassing him, always."
~~ author / playwright Arthur Miller [1915-2005]

"It is historically true that a nation whose people take out more than they put in will collapse and disappear."
~~ John Steinbeck [1902-68] (in "America & Americans" 1966)

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."
~~ Helen Keller

"24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
~~ H.L. Mencken [1880-1956]

"[Stupidity] is the sin that is never forgiven and always punished."
~~ Hercule Poirot, as written by Agatha Christie [1890-1976]

"The existentialist acts rightly for no reason."
~~ G.E. Nordell

"It is impossible to discourage the real writers; they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write."
~~ Sinclair Lewis

"Cowards never lasted long enough to become real cowboys."
~~ Charles Goodnight

"You've got to get the job done, whatever it takes – that's the cowboy way."
~~ Cody Lambert

"The great cowboys are the ones with the biggest hearts."
~~ Ty Murray

"Maybe the American cowboy represents the last of the free men."
~~ Casey Tibbs

"The Old West is not a certain place in a certain time, it's a state of mind. It's whatever you want it to be."
~~ Tom Mix [1880-1940]

"Rumors about highbrow music ridiculous. Am out to write hits."
~~ George Gershwin (telegram to his agent, circa 1935)

"We're all dying ... [The] best we can do is go out with dignity – or having fun. I haven't made up my mind which one I want. I don't think [that] you can have both."
~~ mystery author Stuart M. Kaminsky

"A wise man knows everything, a shrewd man knows everbody."
~~ old saying

"Life is a difficult business... It needs infinite courage and a lot of endurance. And in the end one wonders, Was it worth while?"
~~ Agatha Christie [1890-1976]

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
~~ Thomas Edison

LAWS of LIFE

Ninety-Ninety Rule: "The first 90% of the [software project] code accounts for the first 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the development time."

Zymurgy's First Law of Evolving Systems Dynamics: "Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a bigger can."

Hoare's Law of Large Problems: "Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out."

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Clark's Law: "Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from malice."

Brooks's Law: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later."

{each set of posted quotations are then posted at the Working Minds website, alphabetical by author}

Copyright 2008 by G.E. Nordell, all rights reserved

No comments :